THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Curious George The Movie: "That was awesome!"


...shouted my six year old at the end of this oh-so-cute movie. A few parents around us chuckled and agreed. While I have raved about other animated films in the past I would have to say this is one for the kids. They really enjoyed it but I could have taken a pass.

My four year old mentioned a few times during the movie "we've been watching for hours!" in a sure sign of boredom. I thought they could have picked up the pace a bit too. The boring stuff they plugged in was the trite, embarrassing, uninteresting, and unnecessary relationship between the Man in the Yellow Hat and Maggie, played by one of my least favorite actors, Drew Barrymore, the little slut. As if I have always wondered why The Man in the Yellow Hat doesn't have a girlfriend. When we read these classic stories his marital status is the last thing on my mind. And Drew, drawn with huge anime eyes, takes a superior tone with the bumbling bee-colored explorer, and that annoyed me. Harrumph.

George is very adorable. He is voiced by Frank Welker who coos like a happy baby throughout the film. George is like a non-verbal two year old with the acrobatic ability of The Flying Wallendas. Although he sometimes expresses disappointment, George never gets angry. In a "my dad doesn't love me" storyline, Junior, son of Mr. Bloomsberry, attempts to discredit George. His treachery got caught by my daughter who reported, "he's not nice, Mommy." Not nice indeed.

I've read reviews of this film where folks hacked on the animation, that it wasn't up to par. I thought it was pretty, and brightly colored (lots of yellow!). The kids were engaged. But I would ask that the script writers decide in advance what they want to do with a film. If they are going to make me sit there in the theater for 86 minutes, then the grown up storyline needs to really grab me. If not, then keep the story at the kid level and go straight to dvd. That way I can still do the laundry while they watch it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cousin, I totally agree. This was the first movie I took Will to (he just turned five yesterday! I took him last week). I figured he'd be okay to see this movie because the Entertainment Weekly review said it was a bit dull -- fine with me, cuz I don't want him getting scared or upset in the theater. Though even this dull blah kiddie movie upset him at one point -- when George gets taken away from the Yellow Hat Man, Will sat there with tears streaming down his face. ANYHOW. What a dud of a plot. Why couldn't they just have George get into various kinds of trouble, do funny stuff, goof around? The first ten minutes of the movie, when he's playing around in the jungle, were the best.